Saturday, May 15, 2010

I just bouht a S&W 45 and going to use as home and self defense.?

Just curios if the Remington Hollow point that you can buy at any Wal Mart or gun shop is a good self defense bullet, I believe it%26#039;s a 230 grain. If not, what is an affordable round that I can carry with my concealed weapons permit and also afford to practice with. Thanks.|||practice with the cheap stuff and use hydra-shok or hornady for home defense.... and keep your gun clean and oiled|||The primary requirement for ammunition in a defensive gun is reliability. It may take several hundred rounds to have a new gun properly %26quot;broken in%26quot; but once past that point whatever ammo you plan to use for defensive purposes should feed and fire without a glitch.





There is no such thing as a magic bullet, but some are certainly better than others. I always keep premium ammunition in my defensive pistols but again I%26#039;ve shot enough of it to assure its reliability.





Ball ammo is not my first choice, yet it does tend be very reliable in feeding. Expanding ammunition is well documented to do things that fight stops better than on expanding ammunition.





But remember that nothing and I mean nothing makes up for shot placement. And if you are legally justified in shooting someone, you are generally justified in continuing to shoot them until they stop doing whatever it was that caused you to shoot them in the first place.





I%26#039;m a fan of the 1911 format single action pistol but have shot tens of thousands of round over the years in competition and practice. The single action trigger is a great aid in fast and accurate shooting. However under the stress of an armed conflict, it is also a factor in accidental discharges. A very bad thing. Therefor I hope you will put in a lot of range time with your new firearm. And practice with a purpose. The ability to hit a paper target at the range is nothing like engaging another human being who is shooting back.





Good luck!|||IMO, if it was ammo I had to trust my life to, I would not go with remington or winchester that I bought at Wal mart to protect me and my family, that%26#039;s just me. when I go the range, I%26#039;ll run a mag through of the chosen ammo. I have found with what I buy at Wal mart I have to many FTF, and this was with a revolver. My prefernce is Hydro shock, usually in 165 grain i think, Or Hornady.


These are just what I like and what I shoot, I am willing to trust my life to them, because they have yet to give me a reason not to trust them.|||That%26#039;ll work for the purpose that you have in mind. The main thing is that it is hollow point, which will cause more damage upon entry. The .45 has great stopping power, and in close quarters you won%26#039;t really need to worry too much about what grain the cartridge is. But for practice use regular slugs- any cheapy will do to get you used to the gun.


Now, if you plan to shoot IDPA or something- well that%26#039;s a whole nother issue.|||I have always liked Remington and Winchester ammunition and never had any problem with any of it. Hornaday does make good ammo as does Speer and Sierra. If you stick to the name brands you can%26#039;t go wrong. But I agree with the suggestion that you try several brands in your new S%26amp;W and then go with the one that functions the best and hits the target where you are aiming.|||The gun was originally designed for 230 hardball


That is all I use





I have shot carried and depended on 1911%26#039;s for many years now and have never felt undergunned using plain ole simple Winchester White box 230 Hardball

No comments:

Post a Comment