Friday, November 18, 2011

What is (in your opinion) the most effective *Chinese* martial Art for self defense?

I am interested in chinese martial arts, like all the different kinds of Kung Fu, and I was wondering, if you have any experience, what is the most effective chinese martial art for self defense? Do you think Shaolin is the best? I%26#039;ve heard some people say Tai Chi is best in the long run, or that Wing Chun is best, etc...What is your opinion?|||What is best for me won%26#039;t necessarily be what is best for you. I like Hung Gar. We train in a complete system that does not require blending other systems, but also does not frown upon it.





I have studied Chinese boxing for over a decade now, but have experience in Korean systems previously to that. I do prefer Chinese systems (otherwise I wouldn%26#039;t be training in them!), but that isn%26#039;t to say they are necessarily better than other systems; rather, they are better for me and what I want out of my training.





The great thing I have found about Chinese boxing is that they are varied and are determined to be suited for a practitioner not just based on desire of training, but also on attitude and even the practitioner%26#039;s physique. Since I am of average height and have a stalky build, I am very well suited for Hung Gar, which is the system in which I train. I know of people who do Northern Shaolin who are tall and lanky and excel at it. This isn%26#039;t to say that somebody like me couldn%26#039;t do just as well in it, but it may require more practice and training to reach a higher level.





All that being explained, ask yourself what you want out of your training, how long you plan on training, and what techniques may come more naturally for you, otherwise, how much practice you are willing to put in for techniques that do not come naturally for you!





Oh, and FYI, %26quot;Tai Chi%26quot; is merely a philosophy, whereas %26quot;Tai Chi Chuan%26quot; is an actual martial art. It is practiced slowly since it possesses no basics and since doing it slowly massages the internal organs and has fantastic health benefits. This being the case, many never progress to practicing it at full speed. This is also why many seniors do it. In fact, it is joked that Tai Chi Chuan is China%26#039;s universal health care! When somebody does do Tai Chi Chuan at full speed, though, it is easy to see why the translation is %26quot;Supreme Ultimate Fist%26quot;. It takes a very long time to attain this level. Most Chinese boxing schools teach Tai Chi Chuan on top of their external martial arts programs.|||Since you%26#039;re looking for %26quot; most effective %26quot; i would say - San Da or San so. it is devised by the chinese millitary and it only took out the most effective techniques from different systems within china and the world and integrated in one that provides max efficiency for soldiers. Report Abuse
|||open4one: very interesting stuff. did you felt like your attacks on him got %26quot;swallowed/dimished%26quot; and his defences blended into your attacks and became an offence? Report Abuse
|||San Soo. don%26#039;t go by the videos you see on the internet. most of what i%26#039;ve seen on the net is crap. but san soo done right is a dynamic and versitile art that will honestly be a little hard to spare w/ your buddies with because you never really square up with an opponent .you respond and hurt him quickly and badly,and will save your a$$ when it comes down to it.|||Therea are many good Chinese styles. Northern Shaolin features kicking, southern features hand techniques. Wing Chun is a southern style. Tai Chi is excellent once you learn it, but it takes a lot linger to learn. It%26#039;s a matter of personal preference %26amp; availability of a good school.|||San Shou its like Kickboxing/Muay Thai with Judo throws however the sport part of it withdrawls the knees and elbows from competition.|||From what I%26#039;ve seen, San Shou is the most effective Chinese martial art. You get to approach the style from an empirical standpoint like with the Lei Tai stadiums of old where kung fu masters of all styles got on stage to fight one another. If you want a REALLY effective Chinese art, go for this one. As for the availability, I don%26#039;t think you can just find practitioners of this style just anywhere.|||Go to e few different schools and watch the classes ,ask questions of the instructors afterwards then make your decision .|||learn a little bit of both, or a lot of both. be versatile, my friend. if you have black belt in all the chinese martial arts, you have y uttermost respect. and probably a couple of good-looking girls too|||Any kind of chinese martial arts.|||Shaolin Kung Fu is very good,Tai Chi is more for the elderly but that doesn%26#039;t mean you can%26#039;t learn it too and Wing Chun is very good for close combat.Qi Gung is very good because that you can become stonger just by breathing.Out of these,I think that Shaolin is the best because it consist of 5 different fighthing styles and all of them are based on animals,example:monkey, grasshopper,tiger,etc.Tai Chi is more relaxing than Shaolin but this is up to you.To master Shaolin,you must begin learning it from a young age so I recommend Chik Kwon Do but you can learn Shaolin if you want.Taekwondo is from South Korea and Karate is originated from China but it became famous in Japan.This is just my opinion.|||Why do it have to be chinese? Do you wear a silk dress and walk around and talk in hakitu?





Don%26#039;t pick style base on where it come from, pick one that you%26#039;re interested in!|||tai chi is an interrnal art for relaxation not fighting:


wing chun is the martial art Bruce Lee did when he little wich he later turned into jeet kune do


i did tai chi and lung shou pai; o rdragon style kung fu 7 years 1st degree balack belt. it is a very effective reality based program|||The best in my opinion is Kung Fu San Soo|||I don%26#039;t actually have an opinion, but I do have an anecdote.





I had studied TaeKwon Do for eight years in a very serious way when I was invited by a student to come see an Aikido class. I wasn%26#039;t impressed at all by what I saw. I was invited to spar with the Master.





The Master looked more to me like a little bus driver than a martial artist. He was a short fat guy of about 70. From watching the class I figured he had taken a few Judo lessons once, but that was about all I could see.





We squared off, after he had explained to me that he wanted me to go %26quot;full contact%26quot;, which was fine by me, that%26#039;s how I was trained.





Well, we squared off a total of six times. He put me on my back six times out of six, and I have no idea how he managed it, considering that he never actually touched me.





From my point of view, it greatly resembled the stuff the Jedi knights were doing in Star Wars, except that it was real.

No comments:

Post a Comment